- Legal Materials
- The Legal History of Japan
- Anger and Internet in Japan, the Law and other Social Sciences
- Japan and Europe
- United States Special Measures Agreement With Japan
- Merger Law in Japan
- Hierarchical Display of Japan
- Concept of Japan
- Characteristics of Japan
Business Information: Matthew Bender publishes a guide to Doing Business in Japanthat is available through Lexis (MATBEN;DBJAPN). Deloitte posts a Tax and Investment guide for Japan. See also the sources listed in “Doing Business in Foreign Countries.”
Company Information: Teikoku provides financials and basic information for a large number of public and private Japanese businesses. Teikoku company reports are available from Lexis (COMPNY;JPCORP), Skyminder, and directly from Teikoku.
If a Japanese company trades in the U.S. as American Depositary Receipts (ADRs), you can get Form 20-F filings from EDGAR.
EDINET, the Japanese equivalent to EDGAR, provides public company filings in Japanese. EOL is subscription based service that provides high-level current and historical information for all public and some private companies. The Japan Company Handbook provides 1-page snapshots for all public companies; the Handbook is available on Lexis (COMPNY;JCH). The International Institutional Database, also onLexis (COMPNY;MGINTL) has financials and stock prices for many Japanese companies.
Alacra sells information about Japanese businesses from a number of different sources, including Thomson Ownership (to identify shareholders).
For more sources, see the separate “Company Information” entry.
Intellectual Property: The EPO’s Japan page provides information about Japanese patents and tips on searching even if you do not know the language. See also Patents – Foreign, Trademarks and/or Copyrights.
Legal Materials: For an introduction to the Japanese legal system and for links to Japanese legal materials see the Guide To Law Online: Japan by the Library of Congress and/or The Japanese Law Research Guide. To learn about more Japanese legal materials available in English, see the “Foreign Laws” entry of this Guide.
Translation: The New York-based Translation Company (800-322-8269) provides translations, as does the Japan Society in New York City.
The Legal History of Japan
This section provides an overview of Japan legal history.
Anger and Internet in Japan, the Law and other Social Sciences
People’s anger has also given rise to controversy on the internet in Japan and is often linked with the issue of “flaming”. Thus, this topic focuses on the expression and sharing of anger on the internet in Japan by providing examples. It also covers the results of large-scale studies that have been conducted in recent years and analyzes the traits of those who participate in flaming. We will cover the problems that go hand-in-hand with expression of anger on the internet in terms of “Social sharing of emotion (Rime, 2007)”. Through these arguments we will list the results of studies done in Japan that ask what should be done to control anger. In addition, we will also discuss what we should be focusing on when expressing emotions of anger and our experiences on the internet.
Japan and Europe
There is an entry on japan and europe in the European legal encyclopedia.
United States Special Measures Agreement With Japan
In relation to the international law practice and Special Measures Agreement With Japan in this world legal Encyclopedia, please see the following section:
Use of Force, Arms Control, Disarmament, Nonproliferation
About this subject:
Use of Force
Under this topic, in the Encyclopedia, find out information on Bilateral agreements and arrangements. Note: there is detailed information and resources, in relation with these topics during the year 2011, covered by the entry, in this law Encyclopedia, about Special measures agreement with Japan
- International Organization
- Foreign Relations
- Intergovernmental Organization
- Regional Organization
- Regional Integration
- Entry “Japan and Europe” in the work “A Concise Encyclopedia of the European Union from Aachen to Zollverein”, by Rodney Leach (Profile Books; London)
Notes and References
- Hiroko Endo, Kei Fuji, “Anger and Internet in Japan” (Encyclopedia of Information Science and Technology, 4th Edition, Information Resources Management Association, 2018)
- Legal Biography
- Legal Traditions
- Historical Laws
- History of Law
- Japan in the Oxford International Encyclopedia of Legal History (Oxford University Press)
- The Oxford Encyclopedia of American Political and Legal History (Oxford University Press)
- Japan in the Dictionary of Concepts in History, by Harry Ritter
- A Short History of Western Legal Theory, by John Kelly
Merger Law in Japan
Hierarchical Display of Japan
Concept of Japan
See the dictionary definition of Japan.
Characteristics of Japan
Translation of Japan
Thesaurus of Japan
- Instalment sale
- Republic of Chile
- Republic of Korea
- Republic of Indonesia
- Independent State of Papua New Guinea
- New Guinea
- United Mexican States
- Republic of the Philippines
- Peninsular Malaysia
- Eastern Malaysia
- West Malaysia
- Brunei Darussalam
- Negara Brunei Darussalam
- Republic of Singapore
- Republic of Peru
- Socialist Republic of Viet Nam
- Commonwealth of Australia
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China
- Hong Kong (China)
- Hong Kong SAR
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region