Words and Phrases Judicially Considered
In many situations especially in the context of statutory interpretation the outcome of a case will depend on the meaning or definition given to a particular word or phrase.
This process usually arises when a particular section of a statute, which has not yet been judicially considered, comes before a court. The judge must then consider and “breathe meaning into” the words of the section.
In accordance with stare decisis, the judicial definition that results carries significant weight and may be cited in subsequent cases as primary authority.
Books of Words and Phrases Judicially Considered provide listings and definitions of words and phrases that have been considered and defined by courts and other adjudicative bodies.
Books of Words and Phrases Judicially Considered
- Provide judicial definitions of words or phrases that have been interpreted or considered in a case.
- These are exceptional tools for researching the meaning behind a seemingly ambiguous section in a statute or regulation.
- Also commonly referred to as “Words and Phrases”only.
- Moreover, the citations for the cases within which these considerations were made are also provided.
- Books of Words and Phrases Judicially Considered are available in print and electronic formats.
References and Further Reading
About the Author/s and Reviewer/s
Law is our Passion
This entry about Words and Phrases Judicially Considered has been published under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 (CC BY 3.0) licence, which permits unrestricted use and reproduction, provided the author or authors of the Words and Phrases Judicially Considered entry and the Encyclopedia of Law are in each case credited as the source of the Words and Phrases Judicially Considered entry. Please note this CC BY licence applies to some textual content of Words and Phrases Judicially Considered, and that some images and other textual or non-textual elements may be covered by special copyright arrangements. For guidance on citing Words and Phrases Judicially Considered (giving attribution as required by the CC BY licence), please see below our recommendation of "Cite this Entry".
Cite this entryLegal Citations Generator
|(2012, 07). Words and Phrases Judicially Considered lawin.org Retrieved 09, 2015, from http://lawin.org/|
|"Words and Phrases Judicially Considered" lawin.org. 07 2012. 09 2015 <http://lawin.org/>|
|"Words and Phrases Judicially Considered" lawin.org. lawin.org, 07 2012. Web. 09 2015. <http://lawin.org/>|
|"Words and Phrases Judicially Considered" lawin.org. 07, 2012. Accesed 09 2015. http://lawin.org/|
|international, 'Words and Phrases Judicially Considered' (lawin.org 2012) <http://lawin.org/> accesed 2015 September 3|
- Article Name: Words and Phrases Judicially Considered
- Author: international
- Description: ContentsWords and Phrases Judicially ConsideredBooks of Words and Phrases Judicially ConsideredConclusionNotesSee [...]
This entry was last modified: July 23, 2012