Words and Phrases Judicially Considered
In many situations especially in the context of statutory interpretation the outcome of a case will depend on the meaning or definition given to a particular word or phrase.
This process usually arises when a particular section of a statute, which has not yet been judicially considered, comes before a court. The judge must then consider and “breathe meaning into” the words of the section.
In accordance with stare decisis, the judicial definition that results carries significant weight and may be cited in subsequent cases as primary authority.
Books of Words and Phrases Judicially Considered provide listings and definitions of words and phrases that have been considered and defined by courts and other adjudicative bodies.
Books of Words and Phrases Judicially Considered
- Provide judicial definitions of words or phrases that have been interpreted or considered in a case.
- These are exceptional tools for researching the meaning behind a seemingly ambiguous section in a statute or regulation.
- Also commonly referred to as “Words and Phrases”only.
- Moreover, the citations for the cases within which these considerations were made are also provided.
- Books of Words and Phrases Judicially Considered are available in print and electronic formats.
References and Further Reading
About the Author/s and Reviewer/s
Writing for the Encyclopedia: Are you interested in submitting an entry to this legal reference?. We are always looking for fresh original entries. Our editorial requirements require you be an established authority to contribute content and provide original content to our site. Please, submit here. For more information, contact us.
Cite this entryLegal Citations Generator
|(2012, 07). Words and Phrases Judicially Considered lawin.org Retrieved 03, 2015, from http://lawin.org/words-and-phrases-judicially-considered|
|"Words and Phrases Judicially Considered" lawin.org. 07 2012. 03 2015 <http://lawin.org/words-and-phrases-judicially-considered>|
|"Words and Phrases Judicially Considered" lawin.org. lawin.org, 07 2012. Web. 03 2015. <http://lawin.org/words-and-phrases-judicially-considered>|
|"Words and Phrases Judicially Considered" lawin.org. 07, 2012. Accesed 03 2015. http://lawin.org/words-and-phrases-judicially-considered|
|international, 'Words and Phrases Judicially Considered' (lawin.org 2012) <http://lawin.org/words-and-phrases-judicially-considered> accesed 2015 March 1|
- Article Name: Words and Phrases Judicially Considered
- Author: international
- Description: ContentsWords and Phrases Judicially ConsideredBooks of Words and Phrases Judicially ConsideredConclusionNotesSee [...]
This entry was last modified: July 23, 2012